Thursday, February 18, 2010

Inspiration from Triz Designs

I first knew about Triz Designs from the Etsy Beadweavers team. I visited the site and was intrigued by the beautiful pieces created by Ms Patricia Tager. She does all kinds of beadweaving works but mainly on bead embroidery. Her signature cuffs are absolutely gorgeous, simple but yet sophisticated.

While planning for my upcoming class on Part III of the 'Art of Bead Embroidery' series, I was thinking about Triz’s embroidered cuffs and thought it would be good if I can introduce them to my students. So, I wrote in to Triz to ask for her permission to allow me to use her design concept. She replied me the next day and said “Yes”!

I started to work on the project eagerly and this is the cuff I created using a stoneware cabochon. To be honest, I am not satisfied with how it turned out. It has the ingredients of Triz’s design, i.e. an embroidered cabochon resting on a metal cuff, but I thought the result is quite different.

Then I worked on my second piece, this time using a smaller glass cabochon and again resting on the metal cuff without any added embroidery work. Again, it didn’t seem right.

I am disappointed for not been able to replicate the captivating look of Triz’s cuffs. It tells me one thing though, i.e. I may be able to copy the design but I can never capture the unique style of the designer.

Anyway, it was a good learning experience. I will still be covering this project (on the techniques, the dos and don’ts) in the upcoming class together with the Collar Necklace project. I am sure my students would do a better job.

It was a joy corresponding with Triz and again, I would like to thank her for her graciousness. Her inspiring and stunning pieces are certainly a work of art. Please visit her site at www.trizdesigns.com to view her beautiful collections.

You may view the class details here.

6 comments:

  1. thank you so much for all the lovely things you wrote and I have to disagree.... you did a GREAT job!!! especially with the first one, it's gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still believe that you can give five people the same beads, cabachon and a piece of suede and cuff bands and five people will come out with five different pieces. The design and concept are in the eye and brain of the creator. That's why I am so glad you asked permission. Not many people do that and they pass off other's designs as their own. On the other hand, I'm sure Triz was flattered. Your first piece was awesome. I know I've purchased several of Triz' designs and am a big fan. You are on the right path, it just takes some development. Good luck and happy beading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great article of inspiration by Triz. She is an amazing artist and great friend. Her work also inspires me, but I am not brave enough to try her creations. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I will keep on evolving and hopefully one day to reach a standard I am proud of.

    Thanks again Triz, Jules and Trinity for leaving your lovely comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH.. i hv already reg.. & looking forward to this class.. yes!! Triz is gifted, i hv her in my "favorites" as Beading Mania.. :p)
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lynda! Triz is definitely a genius!

    ReplyDelete