Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Project - Tiles of Sapphire

The making of this cuff was very much inspired by a bracelet (see picture on right) which I bought from Target 3 years ago. The original bracelet is wire-worked with different green tones of acrylic tiles and enclosed with a toggle clasp. The richness of the green tones is what attracted me to buy it then and till today it remains as one of my favourites amongst my collection.

For the 'Tiles of Sapphire' cuff, I have used glass cabochons as the "tiles" and bead embroidered the whole piece. The uniqueness of this cuff is that the clasp is actually hidden so that when it is clasped, the cuff looks like a complete piece.

The 6 glass cabochons (turquoise, powder blue and blue) have been specially fused by Ms Arden from Creative Escape. The cabochons are then stitched with sapphire blue and metallic silver seed beads. The juxtaposition of the deep blue sapphire seed beads and metallic silver seed beads makes this cuff a truly unique piece.

This project will be introduced as part of our 'The Art of Bead Embroidery' series when class commences again.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia,

    Your works are always beautiful and inspiring. Btw, I received the topaz rivoli and the golden beads. : )

    Thank you,
    Wendy
    A happy beader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely compliments, Wendy! Without all the support from you and the other students, I wouldn't have the opportunity to create more pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia,
    Is truly stunning! Oh do keep me posted of tis class, look fwd to attending. Btw, how do i go abt ordering some seed beads tho i m not in any hurry now? Coz i fell in luv & hv been beading d spiral rope. :p Also d Rivoli, do drop me mail when they arrive. Thks A Million..

    Lynda
    Spiral Daze

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynda

    Thank you, glad to know you like it! Some of my stocks for the seed beads have arrived and I am really sorry that you can't view them online now. I understand you were interested in the Spiral Rope Project Kit earlier on. I have the stocks available and I will email you later in details.

    Best regards,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete