Monday, May 25, 2009

Double Coin Bracelet

Gracing our homepage front cover is my latest project, 'Double Coin Bracelet ', which is inspired by one of my student's (Ms Tan Hwee Thiang) necklace piece. Hwee Thiang wore a silver necklace with a lovely knot as the centrepiece which she has bought from England to my class. I was intrigued by the complexity of the knot that makes the simple necklace unique.

For my piece, I have used the Tubular Herringbone stitch to build the rope of the bracelet and twisted it into a Chinese Knot design called 'Double Coin'. The 'Double Coin' design mimics a classic Chinese decorative motif of two antique Chinese coins overlapping. The design was once believed by merchants to prosperity. It is also used to connote longevity. (quoted from Trinity London)

When I first saw Hwee Thiang's necklace, it did not strike me that the knot is the same 'Double Coin' knot. She has graciously sent me the picture of her necklace this evening and I realised both are the same!

In any case, this bracelet is a combination of the East and West jewellery making techniques and I think they work pretty well in this project.

Photo is courtesy of Hwee Thiang

No comments:

Post a Comment