Friday, July 9, 2010

Bead Crochet

Bead crochet has never been my favourite technique. The thought of having to string the tiny seed beads onto the thread, what crochet hook size/type/brand to use, what type of thread, the thread size, how to get the beginning rows right, etc. are enough to put me off. This was not until I read about the ‘Crochet Bead Rope Starter Jig’ from StudioDax and decided to try it out.


About the Jig
This patent pending jig is a genius development by Ms. Randi, owner of StudioDax. It is a small wooden block with 5 eye metal pins attached in a circle. Its main function is to stabilise the first few rows of the crochet rope, which is a common challenge for many beaders. It is applicable for Size 11/0, 8/0 and 6/0 seed beads and can function as a 5-bead row or 6-bead row tool.

The jig is accompanied by a detailed and fully illustrated (60 plus close-up photos) manual that explains explicitly on its usage. It also contains useful information on measurements, materials, design variations and steps for a beautiful bangle project.


My Experience
I followed the example in the manual and started with Size 6/0 seed beads. The steps are very easy to comprehend, no tussle, no hassle, the bead rope was crocheted in no time. I also tried with Size 8/0 seed beads and they worked perfectly well with the jig.

I personally think the whole kit is simply brilliant because through the use of the jig, it enlightened me on what I had done wrong previously with the conventional method of bead crochet. The manual is foolproof and I don’t see anyone having difficulties following the steps.

Randi has also been very kind and patient in answering my queries, and giving me valuable information on bead crochet which is compiled under my manual.


Who Is It For
Anyone who is interested to learn bead crochet or has previously tried but without success.


Where to Buy
Beady Girl is proud to carry the ‘Crochet Bead Rope Starter Jig’ kits at our online shop. For the full kits, they also contain Beady Girl’s very own manual which details on the conventional method of bead crochet. It also contains a necklace project and relevant information on bead crochet. See here for more details.


Class
Students will learn both methods of bead crochet and all necessary information associated. We will also look at design samples and discuss on how to go about creating them.

Our July 18 class is already fully registered. If you are interested in our class, you may email us to be put on waitlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment