Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Timeless Beauty Watch Revisited

The Timeless Beauty Watch has always been one of my favourite jewellery pieces and class projects. When I first created the piece, I used the button and loop method for the clasp (Picture 1).
I didn't think it is very secure so I created another version which uses the button hole method (Picture 2). I preferred version 2 as the Swarovski crystal button blends in nicely into the piece and makes the watch looks secured and elegant.
However, I have received feedback from a few students about this button hole method. Firstly, the constant pulling of the straps causes the nylon thread to stretch which in turn causes the watch to loosen. Secondly, the button hole is too big for the button (although the length equals to the button diameter) and as a result, it comes off easily when worn. This problem can usually be fixed if more stitching is done around the clasp area but the tiny seed beads can only contain "x" number of threads going through.

With these challenges surfacing, I decided to try out a third method using a Slide Lock Tube clasp. This type of clasp comes in different lengths, some in 4 strands, some in 5 strands and etc. The one I have used is a 4 strand clasp and measures about 26mm which is similar to the width of the watch face. You just have to stitch the clasp holes to the main strap and secure it twice.


These clasps are available for purchase under Miscellaneous items at our online beads shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment