Monday, September 13, 2010

Beady Party I - Simply Red

One of the dress code requirements for the forthcoming Beady Party is to wear own beaded jewellery. Being the host, I have to come up with something which my students have not seen it before. I decided to bead crochet with rondelles.

These "fat and short" rondelles almost drove me crazy when I first started the beginning rows. They don't sit nicely as they should and I was using one coloured 6mm by 4mm beads, which made it even more challenging. After trying a few times with the conventional method, I decided to switch to the jig from Studio Dax. The jig really helped alot in lining up the beads but I still didn't manage to do a decent row. Then I realised I have used the wrong crochet needle! For larger beads, the needle should be switched to a larger size and for this project I used a 1.65mm (1.5mm would have worked as well).

With the beginning rows all crochet properly, the rest was actually quite a breeze after that. My next problem was trying to find the right sized beadcaps to hide the two ends and after searching around in vain, I asked Belinda of BelLee Beadz if she happens to have any beadcaps of the large sizes. She did! She was very kind to pass on her bead cones which she bought from overseas to me! This necklace would not have been completed without her bead cones! Thank you very much, Belinda!




The rondelles are deep red and faceted throughout. The facets in these glass beads are really well-cut which make them look almost like Swarovski crystal rondelles. The photo does not do justice to the actual piece which looks really sparkling.


So, now that I have the necklace, I have to go search for an outfit!




1 comment:

  1. I've been cracking my tiny brain on what to wear too. Fortunately the BG jewelry I have are all 'tailored' to my usual dress code. ^_^

    ReplyDelete