Monday, August 3, 2009

August Crafter - Rachel Nelson-Smith

It is my great pleasure to introduce our August Crafter - Beadmaster Rachel Nelson-Smith, who is also the person behind my fanatic over seed beads weaving.

I used to live very close to downtown San Mateo in the Bay Area and there is a beads store called Beading Frenzy which I frequent regularly. On one of those visits, the shop was promoting a course on Basic Peyote Cuff. I did not know what peyote stitch is then as I did mostly stringing and wire-works. However, Rachel's stunning cuff convinced me to sign up for the class. One class led to another and the rest is history.

Rachel is a very talented master beadweaver and has a distinctive style to her works. Here is an extract from her biography "...work is infused with her unique combination of fabrication techniques. With a wealth of knowledge and fearless adventure, needle and tools shape bold and vibrant works alive with enormous energy and dynamism. Finding inspiration in surrounding nature, pure color, and beads themselves, Rachel creates pieces reflecting the world she sees around her." (read about her full bio)

Rachel teaches extensively throughout the country and at national beads show like the Bead & Button in US. Her choice of materials makes her works so vibrant. Not forgetting the designs are unique but yet practical and sophisticated at the same time. I have been fortunate to learn from Rachel as she is always so gracious in sharing her knowledge.

Rachel has had her projects published in several beading periodicals and come this September, she will have her first book, entitled 'Seed Bead Fusion' published! It contains 18 gorgeous projects with detailed directions, designing insights, and etc. A preview of the projects are available at her homepage. It has my favourite Ootheca Cuff project which I am sure anyone will fall in love with it. (Read more about the book from Ms Jean Campbell's review)

To Rachel : Heartiest congratulations on the launch of your book and thank you for the wonderful beading experiences I had with you.

Photos are courtesy of Rachel Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment